Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Luck

It couldn't have happened any other way. I really should buy a lottery ticket or go to Vegas...that's how lucky I am.

It started with a jury summons. I have made it all the way to my 30's without being called upon. I was actually kind of excited. Afterall, it might prove to be interesting. I have always voted, and by that I mean I have really done my best to be an EDUCATED voter. I do the research, pray about it, and try to pick the best candidate. I don't speed, always wear my seatbelt, buckle my kids in carseats. I don't drink, don't smoke or anything of that nature. I am a good citizen. So the next step would be to serve my county if needed as a juror.

The morning we had to report was uneventful. I frankly thought I would get there, be dismissed early, and just get the rest of the day off! ( I had a sub for all day just in case.) There were about 200 people in the courtroom. It was so crowded, the only seats left were the ones at the attorney tables! Granted, I didn't complain, because they were nice and padded! We listened to the judge, a very nice man, explain how all this would work. We took all the necessary info in and answered all the questions he asked (are we citizens, at least 18, never have lost the right to vote, etc.) The we listened as all the people who had excuses came up to talk to the judge and explain themselves. For the record, the mic was off and the whole courtroom wasn't supposed to hear, but remember, I was sitting up front! Also, I was so surprised that people had so many excuses! There were 3 people that said they couldn't serve b/c they were diabetic. Hello??? Me too, but I'm still here! But I digress. Then we filled out a questionaire. The clerk took them all up, separated them into random piles and picked out 18 people to serve on the Grand Jury. Are you kidding me? Out of about 200 people, guess who got called? Yes, it was little 'ole me! I was actually excited at that point. How cool to see how this all really works.

So, we all head to the Grand Jury Room. On the Grand Jury, you basically hear a lot of cases and then decide whether there is enough merit to send it to a judge and jury to be heard. Now, remember my luck? Out of those 18 people, guess who just happened to be picked to be the Foreman?? You're right! Me again! What Luck!! My job was basically to take lots of notes and then take the vote at the end.

I can honestly say, this was a really fantastic experience. Everyone was so professional and nice. We live in an area where people really care about their community and the law enforcement and court officials are top-notch.

No comments:

Post a Comment