Monday, April 12, 2010

Spring Break - Day 4

On Thursday, Daddy finished up at work around lunch, so he was ours for the rest of the day and all day on Friday! Thursday turned out to be my favorite, although it was crammed full and we were exhausted by the time it was over.

We started out our day at the CNN Center, and I have to tell this hilarious story. We enter the lobby and were trying to get our bearings when we were approached by a man who welcomed us asked where we needed to go. I say that we are going on the CNN Studio tour. He is very nice and friendly and leads us over to a poster and procedes to show us (pointing at the pictures on the poster) that we will start the tour in the lobby, go through the studios, and end up back in the lobby (all while pointing us to three pics on the poster of the beginning, middle, and end of the tour.) I say that first, we need to find the ladies' room and he directs us (very specifically) to a restaurant and tells me exactly where to go. I am thinking, how nice is this guy? So, Annaleigh and I head to the RR. When we come out, I find Jason and Alden waiting for us, but Jason is not looking like himself. Frankly, he looks a little disgusted. We get into the elevator, and dear hubby turns to me and says, "Did you think that guy worked here at the CNN Center?" To which I reply, "Yes....." Well, turns out, after gullible, naive Holly walks off, this guy hits Jason up for money. He doesn't work at CNN, he's a BUM!! I couldn't stop laughing that I actually fell for this. I mean, I pride myself on being a pretty astute, but this guy really pulled one on me!

As for the rest of the tour, it was fabulous. Although we are die-hard Fox News folks, the CNN tour was really nice and informative. They didn't allow photography inside the studio, but we did get to see some guy (can't remember his name) doing his live broadcast. Here are the pics I took before and after the tour.

On a side note, Jason and I did the CNN tour way back in 1998 and we actually got to see a vice-presidential motorcade AND then-VP Al Gore! For the record, Jason and I are also die-hard Republicans, but I also have a great respect for the OFFICE of the Presidency and VP, so it was still cool! We saw him go up the escalator with this entourage, waited until he was done with his interview, then got to shake hands with him.


The largest free-standing escalator in the world...it goes up 8 stories!


Waiting for the tour to start


Inside the atrium


CNN / Turner Broadcasting is home of Cartoon Network which broadcasts Alden's favorite show: Ben 10.
He thought this huge wall art was so cool!


The Cartoon Network Store...


...where we had to buy 2 books!!

Our next stop was close by at the World of Coca-Cola. Jason and I went way back in '98, but since then, it has changed locations, so this was new to us. There was a tour of old memorabilia, the bottling process, a PHENOMENAL 4D movie, and of course....tasting the Cokes from around the world!



In the Lobby of the World of Coca-Cola


Alden picks his favorite giant Coke bottle


Annaleigh pics the bottle that matches her Northface shirt!


Pretending to order a Coke from the Soda Jerk...
At the previous location, they had a real guy who worked as the Soda Jerk...
Apparently they bronzed him!


The COOLEST part of all...
They let us hold the real Olympic torch from the Vancouver Games!


Alden needed a little help holding it!


Posing on the Coca-Cola couch used on American Idol


Alden wanted his picture taken behind this random Police Officer sign!


The taste testing area...
These kids weren't afraid to try anything, but they eventually wanted some good old American Coca-Cola!


Alden actually liked several of them...


But from the look on his face here, some of them were NOT very good!


When you leave, you get to have your own bottle of Coke


Alden was pretty happy about his!


We also bought a Christmas ornament from the Coca-Cola Store

After the Coca-Cola Center, we headed to an Atlanta Thrashers hockey game. The kids and I have never been to a hockey game before. We did have a good time, although you can see, Alden didn't make it through the first period! He slept on me the entire rest of the game.


Inside Phillips Arena


1st Hockey Game, or as Alden calls it, "Hick-ockey!"


The Baggett Family rooting for the Thrashers! (minus Alden, who is snoozing!)

Spring Break, Day 5 to come! Then we head back to Alabama!


No comments:

Post a Comment